Sunday, February 6, 2011

Australian Politics, a New Fresh Direction

First Up...


At the point of preparing this blog, I am only one person. I write in the first person because that's all I am at this stage. As I gather feedback via this blog, I may look to register a political party with the AEC. Me will become us and then maybe even a crowd and eventually an MP.


A Little About Me


As a school age kid I would kill myself laughing each morning as the Austereo radio network broadcast their daily political satire skit - "Cactus Island". I would laugh at the antics of Bob Hawke, Paul Keating and other Canberra politicians. Once I got to school, I would sit next to a friend and we two geeks would get the gigglers as we recounted this morning's episode to each other.


This was the beginning of a love I have for government. As I grew older, became and adult, a tax paying member of the community and entered the business world my frustration with politicians, not politics, grew even more.


At their worst I saw politicians who would cower to lobby groups or factions within their parties and ignore the citizens of Australia. At their best, I saw leaders who made outstanding decisions on both side of the house and a mixture of political persuasions. Premier Bligh has recently shown how in the depths of destruction, a leader can be born. Premier Bligh has done an outstanding job during the QLD floods and subsequent cyclone in For North Queensland.


As she rides this wave of justly deserved adulation from many around Australia, let's hope she doesn't fall into the ego traps of her predecessors and peers who seem to somehow lose sight of the reason for their very employment. To service the citizens of Australia. Premier Bligh's true test will be 12 months from now, or at her next election.


Why A Blog?


As I watched the pitiful performance of the two major parties during the NSW state election during 2010 as well as the federal election, I became frustrated with the lack of policy direction. There was none, there was rhetoric, but that was it.


The release of policy was scheduled by media advisors and pollsters to coincide with the best possible time of release, based on the news providers, their agents and the viewing habits of people like you and I.


I believe that policy needs to be transparent, not withheld for limited distribution at very specific times. These policies should be accessible 24/7 and citizens should be able to provide feedback. That's what this site is designed to offer. The thoughts in this blog are my own, they have been shaped my exposure to many views over the years.


I also believe that policy can be fluid, it should not be set in stone. In this fast paced world of ours, things change and sometime they change very quickly. What may have made sense yesterday could no longer be relevant today. Perhaps the federal governments push to get their water policy through in spite of the recent flooding which has seen unprecedented levels of water delivered to some of the hardest hit areas of the east coast.


The media seems to delight in the attack of political figures if they dare to change their view on a subject or topic. As we grow, acquire more knowledge, it's only natural for changes in our views and opinions on specific topics.


I suggest that if such changes are made, justifications be given in the fullest and most honest way possible. I belief it's critical that a politician be able to speak freely about their values, moral code and integrity on any issues related to their electorate or ministerial responsibilities.


In Closing

Please follow this Blog, come back often to see how the documents are progressing. Come back and enjoy the transparency, make comments and share them with your friends. Create discussion amongst your colleagues, fellow students, home makers or retirees.

Please contact me directly if you would like me to provide a policy outline on a subject or topic not listed amongst the ones below.

Thank you

The Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment